Today I went to a Healing Circle at the International Rescue Committee. This is a group where women who are refugees can come and relax and learn stress reduction. I was asked to come to their last session and lead a drum circle as well as some chants. I was super nervous because I've only led a few drum circles and the women spoke very little English.
I don't know why I was worried. Everything went great! I love how music can unify people young and old and from all different backgrounds. Music is also an equalizer. Everyone was just having fun and playing their instruments. When we were done with the drum circle the women in the group taught me some of the songs that they've been singing in the group. It was a great experience and I'm excited to go back! I just need to learn some more chants...so if anyone has any suggestions let me know!
0 comments:
Post a Comment